In a nutshell, I've been watching too much Animaniacs, and reading too much Calvin and Hobbes. I also blame my sister for reminding me about how creepy my home town really is.
The poem (I don't have a title).
There is a race
That came from space
With long tentacles and deadly machines.
They thought it right
To come and fight
Against the Earth, a planet, blue and green.
And just before
They start this war
A human they needed, to study his head.
They wanted one smart,
A scientist to start,
And just their luck, they abducted me instead.
They poked and prod
Me. This poor sod!
To get me talking to they could learn our language.
I was not in ease,
So I aimed to please
By saying things like, “Gotach fam toka mertagage.”
On that spot
I did taught
Those aliens our culture; everything bright and new.
In misdirection,
I didn't mention
They were all things no human would ever, ever do.
In just an hour
They showed their power
By making a copy of me to send to Earth.
I did not dare
To show how scared
I was of this abomination they had birthed.
The creature's mission:
To sow dissension
Among our leaders, to ruin and make a mess
To make us weak
And when we're meek
They will take over and destroy us more or less.
The copy went down,
And when she was found
Was taken to my apartment by the cops.
My husband dear,
Had little fear,
Was unaware of the plan he had to stop.
That bad clone of me
My husband did see
Act in a manner that was wild and obscene.
Even as a hostage,
This I could acknowledge
Watching the Mothership's wide visual screen.
It didn't take long,
For things to go wrong,
My husband knew and finally submitted.
Was this his wife
He wed for life?
In the end, he went and had me committed.
The invasion was doomed
To a white, padded room.
The creature was locked up with all the psychotics.
Her masters wondered
How she had blundered
While doped up on five kinds of narcotics.
Up they beamed prescriptions
Of every descriptions
Wonder written all over their ugly mugs.
A lie I told
Was bought and sold.
Those alien fiends readily took the drugs.
That super strength
Would come at length
Was the fib I told; they wanted to believe.
They laughed and cried
Some even died
Chaos reigned until their senses were retrieved.
From drug delusions
Came to conclusions
That Earthlings used too many vile tricks.
They vowed to pack,
Never come back,
(At least 'til they needed another fix.)
To end my doppelganger,
They exterminated her,
And cleaned her remains up without sign or trace.
As for MY dilemma,
I don't mind to tell ya,
They disposed me in their experiment's place!
As if my life
Needed more strife.
Those aliens only ruined me a little.
I nearly snapped
When I was trapped
In my new cell inside that mental hospital.
I couldn't tell
Those in my cell
That aliens sent me here like a delivery.
In just a few
Short months, it's true,
I walked away a miraculous recovery.
Normalness returned.
From TV I learned
Not to let my mouth spill over like a tipped cup.
I won't jeer,
I lived in fear
That if I talked the government would shut me up!
But I just couldn't keep it
From my husband, this secret.
I trusted him above all other men.
I was without
any true doubt
Until he had me committed again.
Hey Emi!
ReplyDeleteIt's Amy Atkin (now Fuentes), you may remember from college classes. I hope you don't think it is too weird that I was excited to see that you were blogging. I always thought that you were an interesting person and I look forward to reading your posts. It also might motivate me to do better at blogging too, who knows?
I really had to chuckle when you read this to me for the first time. I knew that I married somebody incredible when I did so. This ... just goes to show that my life won't be boring.
ReplyDelete