Monday, March 28, 2011

I'm such a copy cat, part 2

Once again I find myself caught in the waves of someone else's party boat. I saw something cool, and I wanted it for myself. This time it was my older sister with another geek project, and her excitement was catchy. This time its (drum roll) My Little Ponies.

I kid you not. I thought she was crazy at first. She was cleaning up her old vintage collection, cleaning up a friend's collection of around 200 ponies, and started a newer collection. I went over to her apartment and there were ponies everywhere. It was kind of funny, and also brought back old times since I remembered a lot of her ponies. Then she showed me a bunch of old, worn out ponies that the fandom call "bait ponies". Basically, they're the hashed figures that people use to customize their own ponies. After seeing everything my sister showed me, I started to think, "I want to do this too."

Less than four hours later, I was on ebay looking up My Little Ponies. I must be crazy, because I'm already making a big deal about this, but it seems fun and I want to try it out. And lucky for me, I have the best husband in the world who supports me in all my crazy hobbies that I'll pick up. I almost bought something last night in a spontaneous burst of buyer fever. However, I didn't. I wanted to think things through to make sure I'm not just riding my sister's coat tails and if the high wears off I'm suddenly not interested. So I decided to sleep on it.

And then I dream of Ponies. And it wasn't one of those dreams that you do things, go places and things move. No, it was just ponies. Ponies that didn't do anything, didn't move. It was such a weird dream. However, even after that I still want to try this pony thing. I'm going to look for old hashed ponies at DI and buy a few on ebay and see if I can clean them up and paint them in a fun way. It'll be kind of fun.

Anyway, that's my new obsession in a nutshell.

No comments:

Post a Comment